Taught class for Diane here is my description of the class followed by feedback from Diane:
Started the class off well. The students were rocking and the breathing was great. We started class with half-moon and I seemed to get a bit off pace there speeding up too quick. I noticed I was way fast by party time when it was only 5:24. I should have just slowed down but for some reason or another I kept the pace and went through the standing series too fast. Everyone was on the floor by 5:42 (way to quick). Realizing there was nothing I could do about it I just kept teaching the class. I thought maybe I can just stretch out the savassana, or talk about the benefits, but even doing that isn’t going to make up all that time. So I just gave in to it realized I fucked up and kept it moving.
I was in horror when we were going into camel at like 6:05 or so. Still I kept teaching…I’m pretty sure class ended exactly 10 minutes early. I wasn’t happy about that at all, but it’s just what happened.
– Watch the UP in my voice. I have a really good texture to my voice I don’t need to go outside that range. To high and it is sort of like nails on the chalkboard.
– Watch out for substituting the word “the” for “your” keep it personal ; there are some “the”s but mainly it is your.
– Don’t add words (like what they do just give them the command ; example was from eagle pose)
– Look at the floor ; try to touch the wall ; (I’m saying try to see the floor behind you…)
Hands To Feet Pose
– 2nd set get them right in quick
– Clap then step ; it’s in the dialogue
Standing Separate Leg Forehead to Knee
– The 180 degree angle is a line running through the your feet which are perpendicular to the mirror; when you turn your hips you are turning them to be in line with the 180 degree angle.
When you come up you should be facing the middle which is the mirror. All of this is in the blue book which I have to read.
– No change in the dialogue (re-read the endings for these postures)
Gently come down
Fixed Firm Pose
– Slow down…I wasn’t giving the students enough time to keep up but it seemed like they were 😉
Spine Twisting Pose
– Stick to the commands ; don’t say “now do x” or “now do y”
– Adjust the level of your clapping for the room; my clapping was too loud
Argh…I wish I taught a better class, but I did do my best and that is all I can do. I realize the class has to be 90 minutes and I have to make sure from now on that I start the class on time and end on time. I keep saying this but I’ve never ended a class that early. Man I honestly didn’t think I was talking that fast but apparently I was and based on that fact I couldn’t have been holding the postures long enough.
I fell like this class wasn’t a good example of my teaching. I know I’ve done so much better not just about the timing but about actually teaching. I felt like my class at noon time was so much better I was more relaxed and not going so fast. I’m just going to rack it up to it being the first time I’ve taught anywhere other than bikram yoga boston and that I got caught up in my own excitement.
No one got hurt people did some yoga and that’s that. I didn’t go there for some affirmation about my perfection I went to get help to be BETTER! It’s not easy when you realize you’re not as good as you may have thought you were but it’s comforting to know your not as bad as you though you were either.